Tuesday, March 17, 2015

On Being Interviewed

Unity minister, Maggie Oman Shannon has an interesting radio show that airs at 4 p.m. (Pacific) each Wednesday.  (Go to Unity.fm for a whole schedule of interesting programming). On March 18th you can hear my interview with Maggie.
    The preparation for an interview is pretty interesting. Some part of me felt that I should reread something or do some kind of homework. I listened to Maggie's other interviews, and even answered for myself some of the questions she asked the other guest. I went to my copy of Freeing the Creative Spirit, knowing she'd ask something about it. Going through the pages, I realized how well I still knew that material and the layout of the subjects covered. I was glad to see that I still felt good about something I'd written in the 1990's.
    Putting away all the other research possibilities, I came to realize that I am the subject, and I've been researching me my entire life. Creativity and the pursuit of an artful life is no longer a separate topic. I realized that habit in me to prepare, and at least in this case, living my life was all the homework I needed to do. That realization gave me a warm sense of integrity, in the sense that everything is integrated. What I do is a dynamic of who I am. Who I am is at the root of the work I do.
     Being interviewed is a very educational thing. I recommend it for everyone.
     I suggest setting up a series of interviews that you do, in a kind of Round Robin, with your friends. Each of you is responsible for your questions, so no one knows exactly what questions will come at you. Be mindful of the whole process. Write down your reflections of how it felt to be the interviewer. What did you learn? How did it feel. Then write your reflections about being interviewed. Were there any surprises?
     Hope you listen to my interview. Even if you miss it on the 18th, it is available on the website.
I'd love to hear responses to the interview and to the Round Robin, or however you design your personal interviews.



No comments: